[meteorite-list] NWA's

From: Larry Harrison <L_Harrison_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 24 11:55:10 2004

Greetings List,

I am but a small time collector (>200 specimens). However, I cherish my
small example of the evolution of the solar system. I am also an
astronomy educator. I always include meteorites in my lectors AND I am
always asked "how do you know if it is really a meteorite? My answer:
Irons are simple to recognize, and I explain the widmanstatten figure
and how it forms. Stones on the other hand require analysis especially
when chondrules (I explain chondrules) are not easily visible. In those
cases it is very important to know your source. I have always made it
clear that I only deal with reputable dealers.

The posts of late have put a very large question in my mind about who is
reputable. The saddest part is that many reputable dealers are being
scamed by the Nomads. I prefer to collect the rarest of the rare. And
this is where most of the scams are being made. My absolute certainty
of the authenticity of my collection is now in question! I do not
question that any piece in my collection is or isn't a meteorite, but
that it is not the specimen type that I think it is. I have always been
more than excited about the immense number of new and rare meteorites
coming out of the Sahara. If not for these finds I could never afford as
many representations of the early solar system or of the achondrites of
lessor differentiated bodies. I am crushed, uncertain and totally
confused! What to do? Since I am not a big time buyer, my reluctance to
purchase further NWA's will not hurt any of you. However, I feel that I
am Mr. Average. If this mess curbs my desire to purchase more
meteorites, I assure you it is doing the same to many more. This is the
saddest moment in my 20 years of meteorite collecting.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Harrison