[meteorite-list] Meteorite numbers

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Nov 21 11:11:57 2004

Just to add a note...
There is a fundamental scientific problem of classifying meteorites.

Try sending two pieces of the same meteorite to different labs. Chances
are you will get different results.
For instance, I have "L5's" that came back as "L4's" and "L6's".
"Regolith" this and "Primitive" that.
I heard the same situation happening for NWA 1929, either howardite OR
eucrite. I understand some of it is "interpretive".

The system itself is flawed.

Ideally, we need an NWA consortium of labs to correct this and have type
specimens on hand.

This SEEMS to be an easy fix, but university politics plays a huge role.

So all you scientists who study NWA's, how about a network for meteorite
"data sharing"? It will make ALL our lives easier...

Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites