[meteorite-list] Feb. 1964 Elbert King, Roy Clarke Smithsonian letter + KIT AD

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 11 11:21:05 2004

Hello List,

The following link is to a letter from the Smithsonian, via Roy Clark to
Elbert "Bert" King, who at the time was head of the Lunar Receiving
Laboratory King was one of the first to study Bediasite tektites, the
first curator of lunar rocks and helped recover several meteorites,
including being the first American to go to Allende after its fall in 1969.
He is author of many publications including the book, "Space Geology" a
textbook that has a lot of information on meteorites.

This letter is of historical note because of it's interesting content.
Basically, the Smithsonian tells NASA that they shouldn't play with
meteorites.

Rather then transcribing like normal, I have placed a copy of it on my
website. I think it is large enough to read. If anyone has a problem let me
know.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colkingsmithsonianletter.html

Here in about a week I will some interest Elbert King - Allende Meteorite
Kits. Kits will include, an Allende slice from the Elbert King collection,
slices were enclosed in little plastic cases and all but one have Elbert
King specimen numbers on them. Also include will be Elbert King's book
"Moon Trip", which talks about his experience in meteorites and his trip to
Allende, a photo of Elbert King with some Texas meteorites (and the moon in
the background) and copies of several interesting Elbert King letters
relating to meteorites, most between King and (famed?) meteorite collector
Oscar Monnig. Two Texas meteorite collectors, who were not the best of
friends it appears.

Due to the limited supply of the Elbert King numbered and cases specimens
(again I think one does not have its number), ONLY 10 kits will be made.
Kits will likely run between $100 and $150, a couple under $100. The Elbert
King Allende specimens are VERY, VERY fresh. I will have photos available of
the kits within a few days. If you would like me to reserve a kit for you
e-mail me privately.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com