[meteorite-list] Crater question????

From: John Keefner <jk_unlimited_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 11 09:22:10 2004

The crater is only 20km in diameter! A pea shooter by geologic scale, and
only 3 million years old? There weren't any dinosaurs around to kill. In
comparison, the K/T impactor at Chixlub is 150-200km in diameter. The
Sudbury impact crater in Canada, where nickel sulfides are mined - and not
coincidentally - is around 200-250km. In fact it is so old, tectonic
stresses have deformed it into an oblong shape.

The evidence for impacts are pretty clear to a geologist with a petrographic
microscope and a chance to do some field work. I think the biggest hurdle is
convincing most geologists that sometimes stuff falls from the sky and makes
a big hole rather than the usual circular igneous intrusions.

Here is an up-to-date database of Earth impactors for those interested.
http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/

Cheers,
John