AW: [meteorite-list] meteorite prices

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 14:03:05 2004

Hi John&Dawn,

it's because I'm so lazy:
My website is more than four (4) years old (and I'm older than the
mountains).
As I don't have time to restore it, I email lists with my actual assortment
around to my collectors.
Twice or 3 times per year.

At this time, there was by far not as much Campos around as today and nobody
had a glimpse of an idea, what a "New Campo" should be. In fact only a very
few dealer offered Campo at all.
The mass occurance of Campo on the market is a phenomenon of recent times.

I had this specimen more than 12 years in my collection. It was sand blasted
before and the rust was very superficially, as one still can see, thus for
Campo a quite stable guy.
I even granted to take the specimen back, if any deeper corrosion would be
turn out, after cutting.
(Tell me a single dealer, who will do this.)

The avarage Campo-price, when I launched the site, at the other dealers
websites, was 0.81$ per gram.
I priced it at 0.30 per gram.
And sold it for 0.25 per gram to a black smith. That means at less than a
third of the average price at that time.

Since then I never had a Campo for sale (and try to avoid it in future too).

Cheeeerio!
Martin