[meteorite-list] Polymict EUC vs. HOW - NWA1109 question

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 26 13:51:01 2004

Here's a quote from Mittlefehldt's article in the 1998 Planetary Materials
volume:

"Howardites have long been known to be polymict breccias (Wahl 1952). More
recently, numerous polymict breccias with bulk compositions like those of
eucrites have been recovered from Antarctica, leading to recognition of
polymict eucrites as a distinct rock type (e.g. Miyamoto et al. 1978; Olsen
et al. 1978; Takeda et al. 1978). Diogenites with basaltic eucritic clasts
are also known (Lomena et al. 1976), and it has thus become obvious that,
in terms of major components, howardites are intermediate members of an
essentially continuous sequence of polymict breccias, including polymict
eucrites and polymict diogenites (Delaney et al. 1983), that extends from
the monomict eucrites to the monomict diogenites."

Here's the Delaney article from 1983, which defines the 10% cutoff of
diogenitic clasts in howardites:

http://adsbit.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1983Metic..18..103D

This is not my field of expertise, but it seems that the key word in all of
this is "continuous." It is entirely possible that separate fragments of
paired stones could receive somewhat different classifications, especially
if only small areas of heterogeneous objects are examined. It's also
possible that they're not paired (NWA 1553 has not been officially described).

jeff

At 11:13 AM 5/26/2004, Adam Hupe wrote:
>Hi Martin and List,
>
>NWA1109 is definitely a eucrite as it has no diogenite component. We
>stated this several times and posted publicly to the List so if somebody
>is still selling it as a Howardite than they are ignoring the scientists
>who studied it.
>
>All the best,

Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey fax: (703) 648-6383
954 National Center
Reston, VA 20192, USA