[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 43

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 24 23:32:27 2004

>And as for NASA selling Apollo Mission collected specimens
>if they could get $5 million per gram for them... I'm afraid you
>lose. Even if they would fetch $1 billion per gram, NASA
>_cannot_ sell them by law. Price isn't an issue in that regard.
>They are property of the U.S. Government (i.e. all of us who
>are U.S. citizens).

are you SURE about that? just because apollo moon rock is the property of
the people does NOT automatically mean it cant be sold. there are plenty of
things that the government (ie we, the people) own that are sold. if nasa
sold moonrock, proceeds would probably have to go to the treasury for use by
congress, as opposed to going back into nasa's operating budget, but I'm not
aware of any fundamental reason why they couldnt sell the stuff off...