[meteorite-list] A contributary question for a change!

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 4 16:40:20 2004

Hello,
My question is about mesosiderites and their composition.
I have just been reading the bit on mesos in Harry Mcsween's magnificent
Meteorites and their Parent Planets" . He states, and I quite, on pg
210-211:
" Many of the silicate fragments in these [mesosiderite]meteorites are very
similar to eucrites, diogenites and howardites, basically igneous rocks from
the crust of an achondrite body. What is noticeably missing from the
mesosiderites is olivine..."

Well, I have a 180+ thick slice of Estherville and I can assure you that
there are olivine xls present - you can shine a torch thru them!

So I would like to assume that a mesosiderite is not a core-mantle sample
(like a Pallasite) but the smushed up surface of a well pounded asteroid.

Any thought?s

sincerely!
Dave
IMCA #0092