[meteorite-list] Collectors and dealers.

From: Tom Randall - KB2SMS <tommy2004_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:57 2004

Mike / flattoprocks wrote:

> Hello list, I do not post very often. I would guess that 90% of the
> meteorite people on the list rarely if ever post. Anyway I was
> wondering if the dealers at the top of the meteorite world still have
> time to collect meteorites? Do you collect each new fall and or find
> that you sell? Is it more fun to sell a new meteorite or to add it to
> your collection?
> I am fairly new at collecting and selling meteorites. Each time I see
> or find something that is new or different I tend to collect it. I
> just added a Canyon Diablo to my collection that has a hole through
> it. It would be very easy to sell it and make a few bucks, but I would
> rather keep it in my collection. I found a Gold Basin that shows flow
> lines and has a rollover lip, I could sell it for a dollar a gram, but
> I would rather collect it.
> I guess I am wondering if anyone is collecting meteorites or just
> selling them. I would like to hear about the really cool one you put
> in your personal collection, maybe even see a picture. I had a friend
> give me a 2 kilo Gibeon (the best I have ever seen) as a gift. I would
> not sell the piece for $100.00 per gram. I also had a friend give me a
> 14.5 gram iron from AZ, I would not sell it for $100.00 per gram
> either. Am I the only collector out there?
> Mike Miller // E-Bay flattoprocks

Hi Mike,
   I rarely post myself. I'm a collector only, I have only 45 in my
collection currently, the lastest being a CV3 from Eric Olson. I've
bought from quite a few from here on the list, not everyone yet but
eventually! Everyone has been great. Mine are all small specimens,
ranging from a 9mg DAG 400 to a 416 gram Canyon Diablo. A few photos of
mine are on my web site as well as my meteorite collection list:

http://home.hvc.rr.com/kb2sms

Regards!

Tom Randall