[meteorite-list] Mystery Achondrite Found in Amgala Batch

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:53 2004

Hi Tracy and List,

A few things lead me to believe it might be lunar. First there is
absolutely no hint of being attracted to even the most powerful magnet.
Second the crust is not black because there is no iron in the matrix to
darken it during ablation. The color is translucent caramel with a hint of
green. The crust is smooth and very shiny not flat black like most fresh
chondrites. There are vesiclulated melt pockets visible through the very
thin crust just like NWA 482. The matrix is chalk white just like
anorthosite with heavily shocked areas. The matrix is composed of fine
grained crushed crystals meaning it could not possible be a Diogenite which
display large crystals. Only a laboratory can tell for sure. If it is pure
anorthosite I am betting it is lunar.

Kind Regards,

Adam