[meteorite-list] The Mid-West, and Introducing the Wild Horse, Colorado Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:51 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C40C01.E1775010

Hello Meteorite Central list, Meteorite Articles list and the Colorado Me=
teorite Club (Comets),

Due to the nature of this e-mail I am sending it out to a few different l=
ist, so if you get more then one of these please delete one. Only one pe=
rson should get three...sorry, Anne.

I am always confused at what the "Mid-West" of the United States was as a=
 child. I lived in Kansas and only about 60 miles from the center of the =
United States. Kansas has always been a farming state, we are the wheat s=
tate, the breadbasket of America. The Mid-West is well known for its farm=
ing and there has never been any confusion that I live in the mid-west. Y=
et somehow, other states, like Ohio, were considered part of the Mid-West=
 Ohio is nowhere near me. Geologically, Kansas is totally flat and borin=
g. No mountains, no natural lakes, no canyons, no ocean beside it's missi=
ng shores, but we are not a desert. Just flat farm land for hundreds of m=
iles. And this flatness extends around Kansas. You can go all the way to =
Denver, Colorado till you realized you were in another state (~525 miles)=
 Much of Nebraska and Oklahoma is flat as well. However, if I go east, t=
hen I run in Missouri....the show me state. Missouri is well know for its=
 Ozarks. An area of lakes, lots of hills, crystal caves and endless trees=
 In Kansas, we have to plant trees to keep our top soil from blowing awa=
y....and you should still expect $100+ in property damage from wind every=
 year. The two places are nothing alike. I understand now that Ohio IS pa=
rt of the 'Mid-West", because when the tern was first used, in the late 1=
700's, and most of the people trying to make life in the new country were=
 settled on the east coast, it was the middle west. So it is not really c=
orrect for me to refer to the flat area, that extends around me...except =
to the east, as the "mid-west", if I am only referring to this area. Forg=
ive me for rambling on but you might also notice that this flat area coul=
d have been considered meteorite hunting legend Harvey Nininger's playgro=
und, as most of his field work focused here. Others have since been succe=
ssful in this same region...which I will refer to from now on as the Nini=
nger Region. =20
Steve Arnold (International Meteorite Broker) and Allan Shaw are two peop=
le that have done well in Nininger Region during the last 10 years. Steve=
 Arnold, has done a great job at recovering more of old finds (Admire, Jo=
hnson City and others)=E2=80=A6and being one of the first at any meteorit=
e fall site. Allan Shaw and his brother have went door to door in Kansas,=
 and placed notices on telephone poles until their arms were sore. For th=
eir efforts they have recovered a several new meteorites in and around Ka=
nsas. Two of these meteorites would be the "Wichita" and the "Wild Horse"=
 meteorites (provisional names). The Wichita meteorite I introduced the o=
ther day, today, I will introduce the Wild Horse meteorite. =20
"The "Wild Horse" (provisional name) meteorite was discovered during July=
 1979 by a farmer tilling his field, one mile south and two miles west of=
 the town of Wild Horse in Cheyenne County, Colorado. A single mass of 13=
60.5 grams was recovered. This stone was subsequently purchased by Kansas=
 City area meteorite collector Allen Shaw. Allen, in conjunction with one=
 of his relatives, Dirk Ross, brought the stone to the University of Toky=
o in Japan for classification. The meteorite was classified by Dr. Kentar=
o Kanedo, stone chondrite H5, shock factor of 2 and a weathering grade of=
 3. Finally the meteorite was purchased by a member of the Kansas Meteori=
tes Society and currently resides in Wichita, Kansas. Weathering had dama=
ged one side of the stone before it was recovered and a small portion of =
the stone was lost. Multiple cracks in the meteorite helped it weather mo=
re and the matrix around these cracks is visually altered. The less weath=
ered sections of the meteorite show nice round chondrules that appear con=
sistent in size, ~2-4 mm."
Photos of the Wild Horse meteorite can be found on the following webpage.
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colwildhorse.html

Further comments on Wild Horse chondrules. Visually, the chondrules matri=
x of Wild Horse reminds me a lot of the African meteorite find NWA 065. T=
he meteorite looks different, but both are H5's and both have what appear=
 to be nicer then the normal H5 chondrules. In a thin section however, NW=
A 065 doe not look, chondrule rich, as it does in hand slices. I suspect =
that Wild Horse meteorite thin sections will look similar. I will post so=
me photos of a small NWA 065 slice I have and a thin section I got from R=
on Hartman to the Meteorite Central list sometime this week. When Wild Ho=
rse thin sections are completed I will post photos of it if there is inte=
rest as well. I guess my comment here is, it is strange how sometimes a t=
hin section of a meteorite, looks nothing like you would think it would. =
 Sometimes 3's look like 5's, or sometimes 5's look like 3's, visually in=
 hand specimens that is. I don't think Wild Horse qualifies as "chondrule=
 rich", but for a fairly weathered meteorite, it does have have strikingl=
y nice chondrules. =20
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com
www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
www.imca.cc

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C40C01.E1775010

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>Hello Meteorite Central list, Meteorite Articles list and the Colorad=
o Meteorite Club (Comets),</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV=
>Due to the nature of this e-mail I am sending it out to a few different =
list, so if you get more then one of these please delete one.&nbsp; Only =
one person should get three...sorry, Anne.<BR></DIV><FONT face=3DArial si=
ze=3D2> <P>I am always confused at what the "Mid-West" of the United Stat=
es was as a child. I lived in Kansas and only about 60 miles from the cen=
ter of the United States. Kansas has always been a farming state, we are =
the wheat state, the breadbasket of America. The Mid-West is well known f=
or its farming and there has never been any confusion that I live in the =
mid-west. Yet somehow, other states, like Ohio, were considered part of t=
he Mid-West. Ohio is nowhere near me. Geologically, Kansas is totally fla=
t and boring. No mountains, no natural lakes, no canyons, no ocean beside=
 it's missing&nbsp;shores, but we are not a desert. Just flat farm land f=
or hundreds of miles. And this flatness extends&nbsp;around Kansas. You c=
an go all the way to Denver, Colorado&nbsp;till you realized you were in =
[...]
to from now on as the Nininger Region. </P> <P>Steve Arnold (Internationa=
l Meteorite Broker) and Allan Shaw are two people that have done well in =
Nininger Region during the last 10 years. Steve Arnold, has done a great =
job at recovering more of old finds (Admire, Johnson City and others)=E2=80=
=A6and being one of the first at any meteorite fall site. Allan Shaw and =
his brother have went door to door in Kansas, and placed notices on telep=
hone poles until their arms were sore. For their efforts they have recove=
red a several new meteorites in and around Kansas. Two of these meteorite=
s would be the "Wichita" and the "Wild Horse" meteorites (provisional nam=
es). The Wichita meteorite I introduced the other day, today, I will intr=
oduce the Wild Horse meteorite. </P> <P>"The "Wild Horse" (provisional na=
[...]
ow nice round chondrules that appear consistent in size, ~2-4 mm."</P> <P=
</P> <P><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colwildhorse.html">h=
ttp://www.meteoritearticles.com/colwildhorse.html</A></P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <=
P>Further comments on Wild Horse chondrules. Visually, the chondrules mat=
rix of Wild Horse reminds me a lot of the African meteorite find NWA 065.=
 The meteorite looks different, but both are H5's and both have what appe=
ar to be nicer then the normal H5 chondrules. In a thin section however, =
NWA 065 doe not look, chondrule rich, as it does in hand slices. I suspec=
t that Wild Horse meteorite thin sections will look similar. I will post =
some photos of a small NWA 065 slice I have and a thin section I got from=
 Ron Hartman to the Meteorite Central list sometime this week. When Wild =
Horse thin sections are completed I will post photos of it if there is in=
terest as well. I guess my comment here is, it is&nbsp;strange&nbsp;how s=
ometimes a thin section of a meteorite, looks nothing like you would thin=
k it would.&nbsp; Sometimes 3's look like 5's, or sometimes 5's look like=
 3's, visually in hand specimens that is. I don't think Wild Horse qualif=
ies as "chondrule rich", but for a fairly weathered meteorite, it does ha=
ve have strikingly nice chondrules.&nbsp; </P> <P>Mark Bostick</P></FONT>=
<U><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2> <P></U></FONT><A href=3D"=
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/"><U><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>www.meteoritearticles.com</U></FONT></A></P><U><FONT face=3DAria=
l color=3D#0000ff size=3D2> <P></U></FONT><A href=3D"http://www.kansasmet=
eoritesociety.com/"><U><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>www.ka=
nsasmeteoritesociety.com</U></FONT></A></P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> <=
P><A href=3D"http://www.imca.cc/">www.imca.cc</A></P> <P></FONT><FONT siz=
e=3D2>&nbsp;</P></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C40C01.E1775010--