[meteorite-list] Introducing a meteorite....welcome home Wichita!

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:50 2004

--------------020502090706020708000405

Mark,
Congratulations! How exciting to have such a valuable heritage!
I'm sure this outstanding acquisition will inspire Kansas residents in a
 very special way.
Best Wishes to You and the KMS Membership,
Ken Newton
International Meteorite Collector's Association
http://www.IMCA.cc

MARK BOSTICK wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am happy officially announce that the Kansas Meteorite Society has
> acquired the complete mass of the Wichita, Ks meteorite. Our hometown.
> While it would have been nice for this to have been a first find for
> our group, we are just as happy to have returned it home by parting
> with funds. A press release is going out to the local media this week
> and we hope it will help promote interest. A series of local talks are
> being planned to allow the local public a chance to view the stone.
>
> "This meteorite was found August 17, 1971 by a local farmer while
> tilling a wheat field just east of Wichita, KS.....my hometown. A
> single mass of 2.3 kg. was recovered and later sold to a US meteorite
> collector who had it classified by Dr. Kenato at the University of
> Tokyo as a stone chondrite H, S3, W3. Not a rare meteorite type but
> certainly one fine looking cosmic stone. The meteorite is covered with
> small pits, ~3/4", and has a nice trace of black crust in specks all
> around it. The meteorite has recent been came back Wichita, Ks. and is
> the property of a private collector in the Kansas Meteorite Society.
> Welcome Home Wichita! (Name is proposed but should be voted on very
> soon)." A further search of the area in late 2003 and early 2004 by
> me, Mark Bostick, and fellow Kansas Meteorite Society members
> recovered no further specimens. In the 1970's there were few buildings
> or anything in that region. Now it is completely built over."
>
> The name should be voted on very soon. However, I thought some of you
> might find photographs I took of the meteorite yesterday interesting.
> It is a beautiful stone.
>
> www.meteoritearticles.com/colwichita.html
> <http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colwichita.html>
>
> This week I will also introduce another not-so new meteorite, one from
> Colorado.
>
> Mark Bostick
>
> www.meteoritearticles.com
>

> Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of
> meteor and meteorite articles.

--------------020502090706020708000405

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Congratulations! How exciting to have such a valuable heritage!<br>
I'm sure this outstanding acquisition will inspire Kansas residents in a<br>
&nbsp;very special way. <br>
Best&nbsp; Wishes to You and the KMS&nbsp; Membership,<br>
Ken Newton<br>
International Meteorite Collector's Association<br>
MARK BOSTICK wrote:<br>
 cite="midBAY4-DAV46mRf6Ci6nx00017a7b_at_hotmail.com">
has acquired the complete mass of the Wichita, Ks meteorite. Our
hometown. While it would have been nice for this to have been a first
find for our group, we are just as happy to have returned it home by
parting with funds. A press release is going out to the local media
this week and we hope it will help promote interest. A series of local
talks are being planned to allow the local public a chance to view the
stone. </p>
tilling a wheat field just east of Wichita, KS.....my hometown. A
single mass of 2.3 kg. was recovered and later sold to a US meteorite
collector who had it classified by Dr. Kenato at the University of
Tokyo as a stone chondrite H, S3, W3. Not a rare meteorite type but
certainly one fine looking cosmic stone. The meteorite is covered with
small pits, ~3/4", and has a nice trace of black crust in specks all
around it. The meteorite has recent been came back Wichita, Ks. and is
the property of a private collector in the Kansas Meteorite Society.
Welcome Home Wichita! (Name is proposed but should be voted on very
soon)." A further search of the area in late 2003 and early 2004 by me,
Mark Bostick, and fellow Kansas Meteorite Society members recovered no
further specimens. In the 1970's there were few buildings or anything
in that region. Now it is completely built over."</p>
you might find photographs I took of the meteorite yesterday
interesting. It is a beautiful stone.</p>
from Colorado. </p>
Please visit, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.MeteoriteArticles.com">www.MeteoriteArticles.com</a>, a free on-line archive of
meteor and meteorite articles.</div>