[meteorite-list] Re: GPS Recommendations

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:48 2004

Hi John, Bob and List,

As Bob mentioned, I'm using an old dinosaur of a GPS -- one of
the old Garmin 45's. While this unit has served me well for
a decade, it has many limitations which are forcing me to get
a replacement this year. Its most important drawback is pitiful
memory -- it will only hold 1000 combined waypoints and track
points. This is fine for a 1-day trip, but no good for a
multi-day trip without a computer. So I'll be shopping for
a unit that can store at least 10,000 points. (Probably all
of today's units can easily handle this.) I also want it to
be WAIS-enabled. Maps are nice, but not really necessary since
most of the places I would meteorite hunt are pretty much
featureless (by design!) anyway.

Finally, I'd like it to be able to output data in a human-readable
protocol (as the Garmin 45 does). That way I can easily convert
it into any other protocol that mapping software (or my own
software) requires. If someone has already done the legwork
on evaluating Garmin and Magellan models and knows which units
are compatible with these requirements, I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Rob