AW: [meteorite-list] Thomas Structure

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:47 2004

A very interesting issue is that, as Kevin stated, nobody seemed to take =
notice of this remarkable paper published in Bibliotheque Britannique =
(Geneva). This journal was highly recognized and read in the early 19th =
century. Famous scholars like Biot, Howard, DeLuc, or Chladni published =
articles or issued letters. One can assume, that Carl von Schreibers and =
Chladni knew about it. Chladni for example did not miss any publication =
those time as he constantly added information to his compilation of new =
and historical meteorite falls and finds. His book "Feuermeteore" =
published in 1819 is a great outcome of this task. Not only does it =
lists all meteorites known so far, it also is a good source for the =
literature published.=20
Alois von Widmannstetter (Widmannstaetten) itself was never very focused =
on meteorites, so it wouldn't surprise if he did not know about the =
Thomson paper ...but the others! Thomson is not mentioned in the famous =
book by Carl von Schreibers (Beytr=E4ge zur Geschichte und Kenntniss =
meteorischer Stein und Metallmassen...), Vienna, 1820 (an original copy =
of this great folio is in the MetBase Libary!) and Widmanstaetten is =
fully honoured for his invention (the nature printing) and the =
Widmannstaetten figures are named after him.

A nice idea to change the "Widmannstaetten structure" to "Thomson =
structure". However, "Thomson structure" reminds me more of some =
terrestrial impact crater than of the crystallographic orientation =
relationship of iron, which is well established term in metallury and =
meteoritics.

Joern

______
Joern Koblitz
MetBase Editor
The MetBase Library of Meteoritics and Planetary Sciences
Benquestrasse 27
D-28209 Bremen, Germany
phone: +49 421 24 100 24
fax: +49 421 24 100 99