[meteorite-list] An insight to Amgala and other recent falls

From: star-bits_at_comcast.net <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:44 2004

<The 23 kilograms was stuck in
customs for months while you proceeded to destroy the market with the couple
of kilos you purchased from natives in the field paying way too much. This
caused our supplier to raise his prices to the point it was no longer
attractive and we sent most of the material back.>

   These statements have been made a couple times in the past and I have kept my mouth shut knowing Mike would respond. But as the other member of thuathe trip this time I decided to post the facts.
   Mike and I paid between $0.50 and $0.90 per gram to the villagers for their thuathe. We also bought several kilograms from Tony Ambrose for $2.00 per gram. We were told on numerous occasions by many unrelated sources that Tony was paying $0.10 per gram or less. Yes, we paid 5-10 times what Tony was paying. Yes, Tony was probably pissed he had to pay a fair price afterwards, but we left him a pile of money so he could afford to. There wasn't a single piece Mike and I bought from the villagers that we felt we paid too much for. I'd be happy to pay less, but I'd still pay the same prices again for those pieces.
    After expenses we felt $6-$8 per gram was a fair price and we have pretty much maintained those prices since. The only way we "proceeded to destroy the market" was to quench some of the demand. If your supplier shafted you by raising his prices then I suggest it was his greed not the fact Mike and I paid $0.50 more per gram in the field. Hopefully this will be the last we have to hear about our outrageous overpayment in the field and how we destroyed the market.

--
Eric Olson
ELKK Meteorites