[meteorite-list] Machu Picchu Meteorite?

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 16 22:07:04 2004

Doesn't look like a meteorite - since it's very heavy, could it be a
hematite nodule? Then again, hematite isn't usually hard enough grind
granite, right?

Did the Inca's even "grind" building stones? I thought they shaped them by
impact - bang a shaping stone onto the building stone. I think it looks
like a worn chunk of basalt, which because of its large size, could explain
the heaviness. Water worn (smooth) basalt can sometimes have a metallic
luster from desert varnish. If only the photo was of better quality. Very
interesting though...

Any other ideas???

Mark Bowling