[meteorite-list] Hoba question

From: Alexander Seidel <alex.seidel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 14 20:01:18 2004

Hi Mark and list,

> I have a similar Hoba slice in my collection. It however is 28.0 grams,
> but has no crust and has been coated with something clear. The slice is
> much metal. It rings when I hit it against the table.

The upper one of the two pics which you provide very
much looks like my piece, except for the missing crust.
Unfortunately these pics won?t bring out the subtle
details and the contrast deviations of that cloudy
structure that one would see if being able to have a
direct comparison under the same light conditions in
a "real life situation"... :-)

> in Bob Haag's collection, who has a 63 gram shown in his
> latest "TheRobert Haag Collection of Meteorites" book, page 20.

I have seen it there, but indeed it is too shiny in the light
of the photo, and in general uncomparable to what we are
discussing here.

> I also got this slice from "one of the high rollers of collectors.. in
> Europe, who in turn got it from another well-reputable collector

May be we should compare our (possibly common) sources..?? :-)
As far as I am concerned, I still firmly believe that this is
the right stuff, according to my documentation and long years of
collector?s knowledge and trust. I was only intrigued by the fact
that this relatively fresh material is around, while on the other
hand almost all that you can have of Hoba nowadays seems to be
iron shale or severely rusted iron pieces.

Best wishes from Berlin, Germany,
Alex