[meteorite-list] Hoba question

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 14 19:38:07 2004

Hello Alex and list,
Alex questioned, "Can anybody help me out here with pics, Jpegs, or links.??"
I have a similar Hoba slice in my collection. It however is 28.0 grams, but has no crust and has been coated with something clear. The slice is very much metal. It rings when I hit it against the table. The only other "metal" slice I am aware of, not that everyone has their collections public, is in Bob Haag's collection, who has a 63 gram shown in his latest "The Robert Haag Collection of Meteorites" book, page 20.
I also got this slice from "one of the high rollers of collectors.. in Europe, who in turn got it from another well-reputable collector some years earlier."
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colhoba.html
The photographs, of my slice, on this page I just took, there is no glare on the slices in the photos and the color is correct. You will note one side looks like how the shale can sometimes look when brushed. As seen from some of Rob Elliott's slices. Maybe still online? Reminds me of a fine wood grain pattern. The other side of my slice shows the cloudy appearance you are describing on your slice. Haag photographed his slice with a lot of glare from the sun so I can not really see the texture on it for other comparisons.
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas.....where we had three tornados a couple days ago. Two houses totaled and lots of property damage...including two of my cactuses.
www.meteoritearticles.com
Search ebay seller, meteoritesandmore