Re: [meteorite-list] Meteorite Market 101

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 11 19:39:26 2004

Hola Randy,

Looks like I've missed out on the special circumstances of this LA001 deal.
If you agree with most of what I said, maybe none of it applies to that
particular auction.

The comments you make I completely agree with: If one goes to a live auction
where the auctioneer has invested in making the event, the auctioneer
certainly is ethical in requiring that third party dealing is prohibited. The key is
that the auctioneer has invested. The list is different, though, isn't it?
Of is it owned by whoever posts?

This list is about as good as a definition of public domain as I can come up
with. It is not the exclusive premises of anyone, and does not intend to
favor dealers over buyers, or vice-versa. If buyers can bid for a seller's piece,
seller's can certainly bid for a buyer's money without yelling "FOUL",
"UNETHICAL", "IMMATURE", "THAT WAS REVENGE", "SPECIAL CASE", etc.

Is a want ad concept is less ethical than a for sale ad, when neither is paid
and all are being sent on a free forum to buyers? Or is everyone just trying
to guaranty, that if they speak out first no one will interfere in their bid
to get the most they can for their product? While it is a two edged sword,
the only true loser is the Buyer who has less resources and tends to support The
Meteoritic Rule: "Whoever has the meteorites, makes the rules".

So maybe a compromise is in order. If dealings among big established dealers
are restricted to Michael Blood's guidelines, which are waived when you deal
with the Have Not's of the meteorite world, like me, so they can try to build
a collection of a garanteed value and spread the word. But it is pretty sad
that the vocal opinion of the list tends to support increases in pricing at the
expense of attracting new collectors ... many of which become summarily
disenchanted because they didn't get in earlier in the pyramid. Just some musing
while I wait from Cassini News ... Mr. Baalke !!!! Tell me about Phoebe and I
promise to not let this miserable heat wave further corrupt my keyboard ...

Saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 06/11/2004 3:36:33 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
acculabs_at_hotmail.com escribe: