[meteorite-list] FW: Re: possible fireball in Portugal - update

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 5 13:44:02 2004

--------------- Forward Message ---------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:59:53 +0200
From: "Marco Langbroek" <marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl>
To: "Andrei Ol'khovatov" <olkhov_at_mail.ru>, "Global
Meteor Observing
        Forum" <meteorobs_at_meteorobs.org>

Subject: Re: possible fireball in Portugal - update

> It looks like "airplane associated" indeed.
> Airplane's contrails illuminated by sun?
> The only strange thing is that (if I correctly
> understand) the Portuguese AirForce completely
> failed to indentify them as airplanes. Just a large
> airplane with transponder etc. can cruise at 12 km
> altitude. Maybe some confusing, misunderstanding,
> etc.

> Jose, Paulo,

The thing that stikes me as being odd: do you know
whether your Air Force made an interception, i.e. sent
up fighters, to identify it? This would seem
to be a logic thing to do, and if they did not, you
can ask yourself why.....

A few weeks ago this happened in the Netherlands, when
a stupid Air Europe pilot in a 737 flew from Norway to
Palma through Dutch airspace without
identifying himself to air traffic control. Our Air
Force sent up two F-16's who intercepted it; this
created some nice sonic booms. The Germans and
French had their fighters out too on that occasion.
Jose, you mentioned in one of your mails that there
were 20 minutes inbetween two of the sightings.
That would be amble time to scramble some jets and
intercept it. If your Air Force didn't, then why not?
In my country, and most countries able to do so
I think, something unidentified flying at the speeds
and altitudes you mention, certainly would bring our
fighters out, as was the case a few weeks ago.

Just a thought to consider. I cannot believe an Air
Force stand back and do nothing while something is
seen on their radars flying through your national
airspace at aircraft altitudes and speeds.

- Marco

------
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)