[meteorite-list] FW: Re: possible fireball in Portugal - update

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 4 17:48:29 2004

Hi Robert Verish and List,

The portuguese TV station SIC showed last nigh during its news broadcast, a
short video clip of the luminous body seen over Portugal. The video was
taken by a woman from the Algarve (I missed the name of her home town). The
video shows a bright, headless object with a straight, narrow tail, a few
degrees long, (my guess: +-5 deg??) and moving fast, at "tree top level"
from right to left (that's relative to the screen). She reported hearing no
sound at all.
Based on a map of the body's flight path that was published yesterday in the
port. newspaper "Correio da Manh?", which shows the object as having entered
portuguese airspace across the Guadiana River (our border with southern
Spain), what appears to be just south of the +38 deg paralell - I take that
the woman aimed her video camera approx. towards a NE direction.
The object was detected by port. radar at Beja (central south) at 23h19
Lisbon Time = London time); it was detected also by Montijo radar station
(near Lisbon); based on this same map, the luminous object then moved on
towards a WNW direction, well to the right of Lisbon where it was visually
seen by some firemen on duty at the Lisbon airport; Then, it moved on a more
northern direction, closely following the shape of the coast all the way
north, but remaining overland; at Porto (north of Portugal), it was detected
by radar again, at 23h44 with an ascending route, crossing the Minho river
(northern border Portuga with Galicia, Spain). It was seen by hundreds of
people from several portuguese localities. besides the luminous trail, some
also reported a trail of smoke, but no sound at all.
I am surprised that no reports of sightings (as far as I know), were
received from southern or northern Spain! Very strange, considering also the
speeds of 900 to a mere 120 km/h reported by the Air Force, as well as
heights of 2100 m 3000m and 12100 m (not exactly in this order). I have with
me a newspaper clip of the map. Regards to all.
Jos? Campos, Portugal