[meteorite-list] Where Were You When It Happened 35 Years Ago.?

From: greg Edwards <edwardsg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 21 21:10:23 2004

Where was I?

I was on Marcus Island (now Manami Tori Shima), some 603 miles east of
Iwo Jima (the closest island) working on the USCG Loran C navigation
system. Three quarters of a square mile of bare coral sand, no trees,
no booze, no women. One year tour. Three of the thirty coasties had
mental discharges by the end of the year. On the other hand I took and
passed the USAFI Astonomy course and made friends with the Japanese
weathermen there.

While I don't think our signals were used for Apollo 11, they were
used for later missions to provide accurate timing signals.

Greg Edwards, ex-USCG