[meteorite-list] Need ideas for numbering collection

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 10 19:49:35 2004

Hi Mark and all,

Besides using Bernd's excellent ideas (especially putting the list in several
places for safety), using a color code could also help to keep down with too
many letters and identifying marks for your specimens. Helps after your
collection gets into the thousands ;-) Small colored dots or squares can help
with the identity of certain types of classes you have along with a number.
Photography seems to be an important means of identification to me. Listing
items in a photo catalog. Items could even be listed using the weight in the
naming of the specimen in the picture, listed in the photo catalog.

One thing that members can do is have a system to identify their specimens
(weights are a very good identifiable feature) so in the tragic event that
something happens to the person collecting the specimens, others and family
members can make some sense out of what they have in the collection. Otherwise
it could be months or years to figure it all out, if at all.

Collections represent a substantial investment to have so it only makes sense
that they be well identified for future care takers who might want them in their

collections. Also important for family members who may decide to dispose of the
collection later. All my best!

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites