[meteorite-list] Impact Crater Dynamics in the Laboratory

From: chris sharp <casper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 1 07:11:36 2004

>>In this way hardly any energy is stored in the ground,
>>and the energy of the object is overwhelming. The
>>geophysics community calls this gravity driven. I just
>>talked about this at the Gordon conferences here in Colby,
>>Maine, USA and the geophysicists who were around
>>viewed it favorably.
>>Best regards, Detlef Lohse

Its interesting that one of the worlds most advanced fluid dynamics
modeling and testing lab is also in the Netherlands.

I found the still pictures from the experiment compelling as they
demonstrate the powerful jet created by the collapse of the transient
crater debris wall.

Sterling Webb mentioned this jet as the propellant that ultimately
created tektites a while ago....

The use of the aerated sand in the model seems to allow the
disproportionate energy levels between impacter and earth to be
successfully modelled (perhaps for the first time?).

Thanks for posting the test RB.

cheers to all

chris sharp