[meteorite-list] UFO picture a saucer wonder

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:08 2004

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3E2A3.9A9E5440

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8480362%255E13762,00.html=

UFO picture a saucer wonder
By Kate Uebergang
January 24, 2004

WHILE man is making his mark on Mars, some humans are wondering if =
aliens have zoomed into Melbourne.

          =20
          =20
    =20
A mysterious photograph has sparked a UFO frenzy in the city's north.=20

Both believers and sceptics are scratching their heads over a picture, =
snapped in Beveridge by a council officer last week.=20

Whittlesea Council is considering informing NASA and has already sent =
the image to Australian authorities.=20

The photographer, Whittlesea Council traffic engineer, Roland Rozario =
said he could not explain the digital photo, which shows a small round =
object zooming through the top right side of the frame.=20

Mr Rozario said he and a colleague were doing a routine audit of a =
railway level crossing about 2pm on Thursday, January 15.=20

"We didn't see or hear anything when we were there," he said. "I took =
about 10 or 12 photos, facing east and west.=20

"Then I came back to the office, downloaded the images and noticed an =
object in one photo.=20

"I still don't know what it is. I passed it around the office and people =
didn't know what it was. A few said it didn't look like a bird, an =
aircraft or even a bug in front of the camera."=20

Mr Rozario said a train passed through the crossing just seconds after =
the photograph was taken and believes a passenger may have spotted =
something in the sky.=20

Whittlesea Council's communications officer, Jim Linton, said the image =
to the Chief Defence Scientist, Defence Science and Technology =
Organisation and the Civil Aviation Authority.=20

He said the council was considering referring it to NASA and other =
authorities.=20

"As a municipal council we have this image and we believe it is =
responsible to pass it on to the Government authorities who have the =
expertise and let them work it out," he said.=20

Mr Linton said staff assured the council the photograph was not altered =
or tampered with.=20

"We're not making any claim on it. We're looking for some expert who can =
look at it and tell us. Maybe there will never be an answer."=20

Weather bureau senior forecaster Peter Blake said the photograph did not =
look like anything meteorological.=20

"It almost looks like a plane from the rear. It is certainly not a =
weather balloon," Mr Blake said. Local flying saucer experts also =
struggled to explain the photograph.=20

Victorian UFO Research Society scientific adviser Bernard Wilson said =
the group needed more information in order to make a full assessment.=20

"There are some interesting aspects to this photo. The sun reflections =
from the object and the rails appear to be fairly consistent," he said. =
"There appears to be some motion blur to the left of the image which =
might indicate a fast-moving object."=20

But the Australian UFO Research Network Victorian director George =
Simpson said a digital photograph was not considered acceptable evidence =
of a flying saucer.=20

"They cannot be verified. They are too easily manipulated on the =
computer and you don't have a negative," he said.=20

Mr Simpson said he had not heard of any other recent sightings in =
Melbourne's north. But he said a local member would investigate the =
sighting for his group.=20

Herald Sun

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3E2A3.9A9E5440

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dblackheading><A=20
href=3D"http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8480362%255E13762=
,00.html"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8480362%255E1376=
2,00.html</FONT></A></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3Dblackheading><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><SPAN class=3Dblackheading>UFO picture a saucer=20
wonder</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=3Dbodytext>By Kate =
Uebergang</SPAN><BR><SPAN=20
class=3Dbodytext>January 24, 2004</SPAN><BR></FONT></DIV><!-- Ad Tag =
//--><SPAN=20
class=3Dbodytext>
<P><FONT size=3D2>WHILE man is making his mark on Mars, some humans are =
wondering=20
if aliens have zoomed into Melbourne.<BR><BR></FONT>
<TABLE width=3D200 align=3Dright valign=3D"top">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD>
      <TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 border=3D0>
        <TBODY>
        <TR>
          <TD align=3Dmiddle><FONT size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
        <TR>
          <TD align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3Dblack=20
        =
size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><FONT=
 size=3D2>A=20
mysterious photograph has sparked a UFO frenzy in the city's north. =
</FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Both believers and sceptics are scratching their heads =
over a=20
picture, snapped in Beveridge by a council officer last week. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Whittlesea Council is considering informing NASA and =
has already=20
sent the image to Australian authorities. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>The photographer, Whittlesea Council traffic engineer, =
Roland=20
Rozario said he could not explain the digital photo, which shows a small =
round=20
object zooming through the top right side of the frame. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Mr Rozario said he and a colleague were doing a =
routine audit of=20
a railway level crossing about 2pm on Thursday, January 15. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"We didn't see or hear anything when we were there," =
he said. "I=20
took about 10 or 12 photos, facing east and west. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"Then I came back to the office, downloaded the images =
and=20
noticed an object in one photo. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"I still don't know what it is. I passed it around the =
office=20
and people didn't know what it was. A few said it didn't look like a =
bird, an=20
aircraft or even a bug in front of the camera." </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Mr Rozario said a train passed through the crossing =
just seconds=20
after the photograph was taken and believes a passenger may have spotted =

something in the sky. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Whittlesea Council's communications officer, Jim =
Linton, said=20
the image to the Chief Defence Scientist, Defence Science and Technology =

Organisation and the Civil Aviation Authority. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>He said the council was considering referring it to =
NASA and=20
other authorities. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"As a municipal council we have this image and we =
believe it is=20
responsible to pass it on to the Government authorities who have the =
expertise=20
and let them work it out," he said. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Mr Linton said staff assured the council the =
photograph was not=20
altered or tampered with. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"We're not making any claim on it. We're looking for =
some expert=20
who can look at it and tell us. Maybe there will never be an answer." =
</FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Weather bureau senior forecaster Peter Blake said the =
photograph=20
did not look like anything meteorological. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"It almost looks like a plane from the rear. It is =
certainly not=20
a weather balloon," Mr Blake said. Local flying saucer experts also =
struggled to=20
explain the photograph. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Victorian UFO Research Society scientific adviser =
Bernard Wilson=20
said the group needed more information in order to make a full =
assessment.=20
</FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"There are some interesting aspects to this photo. The =
sun=20
reflections from the object and the rails appear to be fairly =
consistent," he=20
said. "There appears to be some motion blur to the left of the image =
which might=20
indicate a fast-moving object." </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>But the Australian UFO Research Network Victorian =
director=20
George Simpson said a digital photograph was not considered acceptable =
evidence=20
of a flying saucer. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>"They cannot be verified. They are too easily =
manipulated on the=20
computer and you don't have a negative," he said. </FONT>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Mr Simpson said he had not heard of any other recent =
sightings=20
in Melbourne's north. But he said a local member would investigate the =
sighting=20
for his group. <BR><BR><SPAN class=3Dbodytext><I>Herald=20
Sun</I></SPAN><BR></FONT></P></SPAN></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C3E2A3.9A9E5440--