[meteorite-list] Finding Bits Of Mars On Earth

From: Mark Ferguson <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:03 2004

Hi Charlie and List

My understanding of the Antartica treaty was that it was set up so that it
would not be governed by any one country or owned as it were.
The presence of scientific groups and zones is to further science now,
though it originally gave a presence by the various countries. This insured
that no one country had the upper hand and could say it had sole presence.
Therefore, there are no "laws" governing movement as such and passports
would only be needed for countries through which one would travel through
territorial waters during the voyage.
There are cruises which travel to Antartica and have a geologic interpter on
board giving lectures as they go south as well (I saw a flyer looking for
applicants to such a job last year at school).

Mark