[meteorite-list] Finding Bits Of Mars On Earth

From: Charlie Devine <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:03 2004

--WebTV-Mail-2303-269

Dear Adam, Norbert, Ken and list:

Adam, what you're saying is what I was told as well. But it was
certainly a revelation to me, until I asked myself "who would prosecute
an INDIVIDUAL if he or she collected meteorites in Antarctica?" And I
guess the answer is indeed nobody! But, I was also told that
individuals from private expedition cruises were doing the collecting.
I have no idea how close to the coast any meteorite fields may be, but
while expensive, Antarctic cruise prices seem to be within financial
reach of many people, and not just those for who $50,000 is a pittance.
I checked a few websites for Antarctic cruises and several do arrange
for smaller groups of 15 people or less to travel inland as far as 3-4
hours will take them to camp out. This can hardly amount to a serious
"threat" to the scientific parties down there. I imagine any list
member contemplating going on such a cruise would want to check the
exact geographic itinerary of these cruises and pick one that might be
more interesting then others. As for the ethics, I'm conflicted about
it, but that's par for the course for me. Legal it is.
Regards,
Charlie

--WebTV-Mail-2303-269