[meteorite-list] meteorite slices

From: meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:58 2004

> All,

> Happy new year everyone ang GO Spirit!!!

> Good points raised here by Guy. While we must recognize that some
> specimens cannot be polished due to their frangible nature others probably
> are not done because of the time and expense it takes.

> For those of us who have saw marks on some specimens, how can we go about
> polishing them out?

> All the best,

> Greg Redfern
> JPL NASA Solar System Ambassador
> http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/index.html
> International Meteorite Collectors Association #5781
> http://www.meteoritecollectors.org/
> Member Meteoritical Society
> http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/

Dear Greg,

If the slice is not too big, it is possible to polish it by hand with
grinding papers of different grades, doing it carefully on a flat surface
under some running water to remove the particles. Of course, the type of
grinding paper should be chosen so that it can be used with water (like the
one used for cars body work). Grades can be 240, then 400, 800 and 1200 for
a very smooth finishing. 3M for instance offers a wide range of grinding
papers that can be used for that. If saw marks are quite deep, you can start
with a diamond coated plate under running water (there is a supplier in US:
EZE LAP), and then finish with grinding paper.
Of course, this is an "artisanal" way, but gives good results for few slices
to be polished. Chose the last grade according to the result that you like
the most, as polishing makes the surface darker, and sometimes it is better
not to go for to fine grade of paper, just stopping when marks cannot bee
seen anymore by eye (but could be still visible under a binocular).It all
depends on what you want to obtain.

Kind regards

Frederic Beroud
www.meteoriteshow.com