[meteorite-list] Re: Scientists Find Mars Met. (NWA 1950)

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:57 2004

--part1_1c0.139856b1.2d29ffc8_boundary

Hello Pekka,=20

Perhaps Copernicus didn't go far enough... :)

If you want to go into the details, you will also find at the moment it is=20
also more correct to call the Moon-Earth System is a binary Planetary system=
,=20
and Luna a Planetoid, not a "Meteoroid", so we are just the third "rocks" in=
=20
plural from the Sun. So a meteorite from the Moon is no more significant th=
an a=20
handful of dirt from Finland sent to Australia, although I guess Suomen Post=
i=20
Oy's rate might be a bit higher.

I remind you that the oldest of a few Apollo sample Moon rocks have been=20
dated to nearly 4.5 billion years old, and Allende is considered to be 4.56=20
billion years old.

On the other hand following the logic we can consider other protoplanetary=20
impact events, and we are mostly part of the Solar nebula, so we would all b=
e=20
Solar meteoroids, and that includes that freckled runt, Jupiter...

Anyway, you are right, without the phases of the Moon it would be unfortunat=
e=20
to have it land in the back yard...

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 01/04/2004 5:07:17 PM Mexico Standard Time,=20
pekka.savolainen_at_dlc.fi escribe:

> Asunto: Re: [meteorite-list] Re: Scientists Find Mars Met. (NWA 1950)=20
> Fecha: 01/04/2004 5:07:17 PM Mexico Standard Time
> De: pekka.savolainen_at_dlc.fi
> Para: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com
> CC: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Enviado por Internet=20
>=20
>=20
> Well, at the moment it=B4s belived, that the moon has separeted the earth
> after a collision with a Mars-sized body. So in fact all lunar ones=20
> are "earth meteorites" ... And in fact the moon is the biggest "earth
> meteoroid".
>=20
> Hope it will stay on it=B4s orbit anyway, prefer a bit smaller ones to my=20
> back-yard...;-
>=20
> pekka s
>=20
> MexicoDoug_at_aol.com wrote:
> >> I've alway had that exact same question: Where are the Earth meteorites=
? =20
>> The answers I have contemplated are, which only plug the curiosity, and I=
=20
>> apologise if this is basic stuff published in some texts, as I have yet t=
o=20
>> read and meteorite reference materials except "Find a Falling Star":
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
> --=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Pekka Savolainen
> Jokiharjuntie 4
> FIN-71330 Rasala
> FINLAND
>=20
> + 358 400 818 912
>=20
> Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
> Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
>=20
>=20

--part1_1c0.139856b1.2d29ffc8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hello Pekka, <BR>
<BR>
Perhaps Copernicus didn't go far enough...&nbsp; :)<BR>
<BR>
If you want to go into the details, you will also find at the moment it is a=
lso more correct to call the Moon-Earth System is a binary Planetary system,=
 and Luna a Planetoid, not a "Meteoroid", so we are just the third "rocks" i=
n plural from the Sun.&nbsp; So a meteorite from the Moon is no more signifi=
cant than a handful of dirt from Finland sent to Australia, although I guess=
 Suomen Posti Oy's rate might be a bit higher.<BR>
<BR>
I remind you that the oldest of a few Apollo sample Moon rocks have been dat=
ed to nearly 4.5 billion years old, and Allende is considered to be 4.56 bil=
lion years old.<BR>
<BR>
On the other hand following the logic we can consider other protoplanetary i=
mpact events, and we are mostly part of the Solar nebula, so we would all be=
 Solar meteoroids, and that includes that freckled runt, Jupiter...<BR>
<BR>
Anyway, you are right, without the phases of the Moon it would be unfortunat=
e to have it land in the back yard...<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
Mexico<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 01/04/2004 5:07:17 PM Mexico Standard Time, pekka.sa=
volainen_at_dlc.fi escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Asunto: <B>Re: [meteorite-list]=
 Re: Scientists Find Mars Met. (NWA 1950) </B><BR>