[meteorite-list] Ad - Weekly Rare Material Special

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:24 2004

Dear Walter and List,

NWA 1929 was presented first by another party so we deposited type specimens
to the original laboratory for comparison and another sample to the
University of Washington for additional study. In reality there are now
three type specimen deposits which should not upset scientists who love to
study achondrites.

We agree that if meteorites are paired they should all go by the same number
but we did not create the rules. The problem is that sometimes several
laboratories are independently studying the same material from two or more
parties. Using Nom Com rules more than one number should used in this
situation just like Antarctic finds.

Another good example is NWA 1068, a shergottite that was broken into
hundreds of pieces. We reported the coordinates under serial number NWA
1110 before we even were aware it was being studied elsewhere and even
produced pictures of the nomads recovering the material in the Marir region.
Since every speck of this shergottite was found in a working area of about
12 meters by 12 meters we assume this meteorite hit a rock and was shattered
into hundreds of fragments. To us, it is all part of same rock yet there
are over four NWA numbers covering this find.

I hope this helps,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185