[meteorite-list] Sikhote, Another Fesenkov NP and my big Sikhote

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:22 2004

------=_NextPart_001_000D_01C3F19C.8B4F5450

Hello everyone,

Today's Sikhote article features a cool quote from Fesenkov. I suggest =
that everyone read, Giant Meteorites, granted a hard to find book, but on=
e that talks about the Sikhote fall more then any other book. With this =
book and Peter Brown's Sky and telescope you might get a good understandi=
ng of Fesenkov. He is kind of a Kulik like legend in meteorites in Russi=
a, and one of the more underrated meteorite people....historically.

Paper: Berkshire Evening Eagle
City: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Date: Thursday, May 01, 1947
Page: 2?
Soviet Scientist Thinks Planet Hit Earth in February
MOSCOW (AP_ - V. G. Fesenkov, chairman of the meteorite committee of the =
U.S.S.R. Academy of Science, says it was possibly that a minor planet col=
lided with the earth on Feb. 12, 1947, when a missile, described as a met=
eorite, fell in eastern Siberia.
"It is now becoming increasingly clear," Fezenkov reports, "that is was a=
n exceptional phenomenon in many respects. For one thing some of the frag=
ments smashed through the surface strata of soft and penetrated into bedr=
ock, leaving several dozen craters, the biggest of them about 75 feet in =
diameter.
"The combination of circumstances required for a heavenly body to strike =
out planet with sufficient force to create craters is exceedingly rare," =
he notes.

Today Sikhote photo I am sharing is my "big" Sikhote. A 2.5 kg. piece o=
f scrapnel. Small compared to many of the mosters in others collections.=
  (Support the Mark needs a 200 lb. Sikhote fund). It is very skinny and=
 will stand up and looks kind of like a bird or a dragon on two feet, but=
 I do not have it here at the house so I can't provided really good image=
s of it. The meteorite is downtown in a collection of meteorites I hav=
e had out on loan for close to a year. Starting to miss a couple of my =
cosmic friends in that glass case. =20
You can see the Sikhote, laying on its side and upside down (dragon wise)=
 on the following page. Of interesting note is the use of Roman's labels=
  =20
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/coldowntown.html
Thank you to the many list members that sent me photos of their favorite =
Sikhote via e-mail. While it saddens me a little that more list members=
 would be more interested in Matteo stomping, then sharing photos of thei=
r sikhotes, I am stubborn and will continue the Sikhote thread on a few m=
ore days. =20
Mark Bostick

------=_NextPart_001_000D_01C3F19C.8B4F5450

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Hello everyone=
,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Today's Sikhote article features a cool qu=
ote from Fesenkov.&nbsp;&nbsp; I suggest that everyone read, Giant Meteor=
ites, granted a hard to find book, but one that talks about the Sikhote f=
all more then any other book.&nbsp; With this book and Peter Brown's Sky =
and telescope you might get a good understanding of Fesenkov.&nbsp; He is=
 kind of a Kulik like legend in meteorites in Russia, and one of the more=
 underrated meteorite people....historically.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FON=
T size=3D2> <P>Paper: Berkshire Evening Eagle</P> <P>City: Pittsfield, Ma=
ssachusetts</P> <P>Date: Thursday, May 01, 1947</P> <P>Page: 2?</P> <P>So=
viet Scientist Thinks Planet Hit Earth in February</P> <P>MOSCOW (AP_ - V=
 G. Fesenkov, chairman of the meteorite committee of the U.S.S.R. Academ=
y of Science, says it was possibly that a minor planet collided with the =
earth on Feb. 12, 1947, when a missile, described as a meteorite, fell in=
 eastern Siberia.</P> <P>"It is now becoming increasingly clear," Fezenko=
v reports, "that is was an exceptional phenomenon in many respects. For o=
ne thing some of the fragments smashed through the surface strata of soft=
 and penetrated into bedrock, leaving several dozen craters, the biggest =
of them about 75 feet in diameter.</P> <P>"The combination of circumstanc=
es required for a heavenly body to strike out planet with sufficient forc=
e to create craters is exceedingly rare," he notes.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>=
&nbsp;</P> <P>Today Sikhote photo I am sharing is my "big" Sikhote.&nbsp;=
&nbsp; A 2.5 kg. piece of scrapnel.&nbsp; Small compared to many of the m=
osters in others collections.&nbsp; (Support the Mark needs a 200 lb. Sik=
hote fund).&nbsp; It is very skinny and will stand up and looks kind of l=
ike a bird or a dragon on two feet, but I do not have it here at the hous=
e so I can't provided really good images of it.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The met=
eorite is downtown in a collection of meteorites I have had out on loan f=
or close to a year.&nbsp;&nbsp; Starting to miss a couple of my cosmic fr=
iends in that glass case. </P> <P>You can see the Sikhote, laying on its =
side and upside down (dragon wise) on the following page.&nbsp; Of intere=
sting note is the use of Roman's labels.&nbsp; </P> <P><A href=3D"http://=
www.meteoritearticles.com/coldowntown.html">http://www.meteoritearticles.=
com/coldowntown.html</A></P> <P>Thank you to the many list members that s=
ent me photos of their favorite Sikhote via e-mail.&nbsp;&nbsp; While it =
saddens me a little that more list members would be more&nbsp;interested =
in Matteo stomping, then sharing photos of their sikhotes, I am stubborn =
and will continue the Sikhote thread on a few more days. </P> <P>Mark Bos=
tick</P> <P></FONT>&nbsp;</P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_000D_01C3F19C.8B4F5450--