[meteorite-list] Opportunity Rolls Onto Martian Ground

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:19 2004

--part1_130.2a9caea0.2d4f616a_boundary

In a message dated 2/2/2004 2:03:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,=20
baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

> rovers shall
> each acquire science data and conduct in-situ analysis for 90 sols". That=
=20
> would
> include the time on the lander, as it did acquire science data from the=20
> Pancam and
>=20

If this is true then is the official NASA Mars Exploration Rover Mission=20
website is incorrect about the specification. The overall mission timeline=20=
and=20
definitions are quite clear there to define the 90 days as beginning upon=20
completion of egress (when tires are in the dirt) and specifically NOT to in=
clude=20
time on the lander even if they cheated with a little extra science. The fi=
rst=20
line on the official NASA website currently says:=20

"Surface Operations begin once the rover has completed its egress. The rover=
s=20
were designed to last for 90 days of surface operations."

However, on the same official mission timeline it is somewhat inconsistent=20
and interesting to note:

"Eventual End of Mission:

Toward the end of the surface phase for both missions, both power and teleco=
m=20
capabilities will be decreasing, as the Earth and the Sun become more distan=
t=20
from Mars, dust falls on the solar panels, the batteries lose capacity, and=20
the Sun moves further North past the landing site latitude. Eventually,=20
somewhere near Sol 91 it is expected that the rover will be unable to store=20=
up enough=20
thermal or battery energy to prevent its components=B4 overnight temperature=
s=20
from falling below flight allowable levels. That will sooner or later result=
 in=20
failure of one or more of those components, silencing the rover forever." =20
   =20
Though "sooner or later" is left undefined, the dust issue with all that fin=
e=20
silt we are seeing is especially disheartening after reading this. Perhaps=20
next time the lander can be fitted with a soft spring loaded mop instead of=20
sitting there doing nothing. I'm sure there are reasons. I would highly do=
ubt=20
that funding to keep the cars going after all this would be at issue. That=20
card is being played already on the Hubble and Space Shuttle, Space Station,=
=20
Pluto-Kuiper Express (not even a website anymore for heaven's sake), etc. I=
 guess=20
NASA is going out of business. Next thing it will be MASA: Moon=20
Administration and Strategic Arsenal. What ever happened to that good old A=
merican=20
Ingenuity and Creativity? Something's got to give or these operations might=
 be best=20
suited to be outsourced to China. Or at least the battery production. I=20
guess there isn't much research money for that either.

Best Spirits and Opportunities
Doug Dawn

   =20

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tl_surface.html

--part1_130.2a9caea0.2d4f616a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 2/2/2004 2:03:12=
 AM Eastern Standard Time, baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">rovers shall<BR>
each acquire science data and conduct in-situ analysis for 90 sols".&nbsp; T=
hat would<BR>
include the time on the lander, as it did acquire science data from the Panc=
am and<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
If this is true then is the official NASA Mars Exploration Rover Mission web=
site is incorrect about the specification.&nbsp; The overall mission timelin=
e and definitions are quite clear there to define the 90 days as beginning u=
pon completion of egress (when tires are in the dirt) and specifically NOT t=
o include time on the lander even if they cheated with a little extra scienc=
e.&nbsp; The first line on the official NASA website currently says: <BR>
<BR>
"Surface Operations begin once the rover has completed its <A HREF=3D"http:/=
/marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tl_rover.html">egress</A>. The rovers were=20=
designed to last for 90 days of surface operations."<BR>
<BR>
However, on the same official mission timeline it is somewhat inconsistent a=
nd interesting to note:<BR>
<BR>
"Eventual End of Mission:<BR>
<BR>
Toward the end of the surface phase for both missions, both power and teleco=
m capabilities will be decreasing, as the Earth and the Sun become more dist=
ant from Mars, dust falls on the solar panels, the batteries lose capacity,=20=
and the Sun moves further North past the landing site latitude. Eventually,=20=
somewhere near Sol 91 it is expected that the rover will be unable to store=20=
up enough thermal or battery energy to prevent its components=B4 overnight t=
emperatures from falling below flight allowable levels. That will sooner or=20=
later result in failure of one or more of those components, silencing the ro=
ver forever." <BR>
    <BR>
Though "sooner or later" is left undefined, the dust issue with all that fin=
e silt we are seeing is especially disheartening after reading this.&nbsp; P=
erhaps next time the lander can be fitted with a soft spring loaded mop inst=
ead of sitting there doing nothing.&nbsp; I'm sure there are reasons.&nbsp;=20=
I would highly doubt that funding to keep the cars going after all this woul=
d be at issue.&nbsp; That card is being played already on the Hubble and Spa=
ce Shuttle, Space Station, Pluto-Kuiper Express (not even a website anymore=20=
for heaven's sake), etc.&nbsp; I guess NASA is going out of business.&nbsp;=20=
Next thing it will be MASA: Moon Administration and Strategic Arsenal.&nbsp;=
 What ever happened to that good old American Ingenuity and Creativity?&nbsp=
; Something's got to give or these operations might be best suited to be out=
sourced to China.&nbsp; Or at least the battery production.&nbsp; I guess th=
ere isn't much research money for that either.<BR>
<BR>
Best Spirits and Opportunities<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
    <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tl_surface.html<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_130.2a9caea0.2d4f616a_boundary--