[meteorite-list] New Campo -Myth Busted?

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 24 15:14:08 2004

You know, here is something that is interesting. Two
or Three years ago Mike Farmer was into an exact
identical arguement on this list when he was selling
Campos by the Ton (His claim) and somebody (I dont
remember who) started claiming that they were illegal
and a fight broke out on this list involving Campos
with farmer on the defensive. I dont remember exactly
how but I was somehow involved in the fight to (Not
because me and farmer ever had opposing views I am
sure).
But anyway, during this time I got two emails (One
even from Brazil) from people in south america asking
me to send an annomomous email to the met list but not
tell who they were because (In the case of the
brazilian person) they were being watched by some
secret meteorite police who were watching and were out
to get them and that if word got out who they were
they would never be herd from again (Which according
to them happens a lot in south America).
Sounds to me like history is repeating itself again
with new warnings (Although likely with new secret
meteorite preservationists because surely the ones
from three years ago have been found by now, had their
fingernails pulled out and dumped at 3am from a
helicopter over shark infested waters).
Come on Wake up.
No scientists or anybody who wants to preserve an
academic reputation is going to secretly email anybody
with vague warnings without backing up their warning
with the exact laws that they are using to base their
warning on.
A respectable scientist (Or government official) is
not going to be to chicken scared to put their name on
the line when warning people about valid laws from
their country that they are only repeating (and not
making up).
Sincerely
DEAN

--- Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net>

=== message truncated ===