[meteorite-list] Could A Meteorite or Comet Cause All The Fires of 1871?

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 23 20:16:44 2004

> He said he's been contacted by relatives of survivors of the
> Peshtigo fire who shared stories from their ancestors about seeing fire
> falling from the sky.

Mr. Wood has joined the ranks of Micro-Mike (Frass Meteorite).
The promoting of fact-less theory is less than amusing.
The reports of fire falling from heaven were rampant in
the later half of the 1800's through the first few decades
of the 1900's. You can check out the disastrous "aerolite"
articles on my site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/news1.html
( Also see Mark Bostick's site - www.meteoritearticles.com )

However, those reports were a result of one (or more) AP writer's
desire to give persons something interesting to read
regardless of the fact that they did not happen.
The Press also does not like to admit when it has
deceived the public.(much like the Press's failure to
follow up on current meteorwrong reports)
So cudos to one writer who tried to exposed the "canard(s)"
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2003-March/125588.html
How many persons read the false accounts, believed the lies and
shared their own 'experience' with their offspring? (Shades of Patricia Polacco)

I have seen lightning start fires on more than one occasion.
Combine lightning with wind and dry conditions and disaster results.
Those were the conditions on a grand scale.
Why make a simple natural occurrence, unreasonably complicated?

Thank goodness for David Batch's voice of reason.
Best,
ken

PS - Meteors causing fires is a very popular misconception.
Did anyone see the episode of Stargate when the 'team'
visited a planet having its' yearly meteor shower. Only
this time the giant flaming meteors impacted the planet,
burned houses and created havoc? Even though inaccurate,
the special effects were very impressive! :>)