[meteorite-list] Tambo Quemado and Plymouth

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 22 12:50:12 2004

Hello again,

> OLSEN E.J. et al. (1999) The phosphates of IIIAB iron meteorites
> (MAPS 34-2, 1999, pp. 285-300, page 292, Other IIIAB irons):

> Plymouth contained terrestrial contamination
> (clay minerals, feldspar, quartz) ...

It is fascinating (for me) to jump from one interesting phenomenon
to another; while browsing the Buchwald article to see if he mentions
any terrestrial contamination in the Plymouth, Indiana iron (he doesn't),
these words immediately caught my attention:

"Ward noted that the discoverer had already, in 1872, found another
larger meteorite in the same field. Since this mass, about 4 x 3 x 2/3
feet in size, had been seriously interfer[r]ing with the field work, Mr.
Kyser, aided by his son, had dug a hole deep enough to bury the mass
completely. In 1894 Ward tried without success to relocate the buried
main mass, which - if the account is reliable - must have weighed about
1,000 kg."

Well, Mr. Ward did not have a metal detector, so, Indiana meteorite
collectors, get your metal detectors out and find that sucker !!!

Best regards,

Bernd