[meteorite-list] Meteorite with holes?!?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 18 10:12:04 2004

Graham Christensen wrote:

> It looks to me like the holes are just where chondrules have
> fallen out of the matrix ... perhaps a loose matrix or something?

Jeff Kuyken responded:

Jeff K. also wrote:

> If they are vesicles, I don't know how they could have
> formed. Maybe the stone was part of a larger impact melt?

Mark Ford contributed:

> You get a similar effect with some NWA 869's, tiny pits all
> over the surface, possibly weathered out surface chondrules

J?rn Koblitz's take on these holes:

> I think, it's weathered out - better "washed out" - matrix
> material, which has also removed some larger chondrules.

MDF's speculation:

> Now here's some speculation - if you have a meteorite with armored
> chondrites and leave it out to weather, won't the metal rust away first,
> let the chondrules drop out, and leave holes in the rock much like those
> pictured here?

Now my stab:

Like J?rn I am inclined to believe that something has weathered
out here. Now, what could that have been - something roundish:

(a) chondrules
(b) troilite nodules/inclusions/patches

Cheers,

Bernd