[meteorite-list] Re: Down Under Connection (0ff topic delete) hunting Apex Chert

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 10 02:20:35 2004

Hey Dave!

Another characteristic that links Apex Chert and
ALH84001 is the controversy surrounding them, and
their claim to having evidence for microfossils.
;-)
Bob V.

"earliest life?"
... The oldest well dated and well preserved
microsfossils were described by JW Schopf from the
Apex Chert at Marble Bar, Western Australia. ...
<http://www.uni-muenster.de/GeoPalaeontologie/
Palaeo/Palbot/seite1.html>

Astrobiology Magazine
... described 3.5 billion-year-old specimens from
Western Australia as fossilized ... The Apex Chert
microfossils (above) formed in association with hot
fluids near a hot springs...
<http://www.astrobio.net/news/print.php?sid=350>

[RTF] Earth's Oldest Fossils Reverse Course
By: David Tenenbaum
... fresh debate, [but that]while Lowe may be correct
about some of the South African dikes, he appears to
be mistaken about the Apex chert in Western Australia.
<http://www.astrobio.net/news/rtf.php?sid=421&
d=Astrobio421&ext=Astrobio421.doc>

[meteorite-list] Down Under Connection (0ff topic
delete) hunting Apex Chert
David Freeman dfreeman at fascination.com
Mon Aug 9 21:38:52 EDT 2004

As an added note: Apex Chert has some of the same mico
fossils as ALH84001 !!!! Not as off topic as I once
thought!
DF (who could use a good head soaking)