[meteorite-list] Important Mojave Meteorite Found

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 6 06:32:17 2004

Mike Farmer wrote:

> I find it impossible to believe that the piece is paired with Old Woman.
> I would guess that this piece is a much older different meteorite.

Hello Adam, Mike, and List,

Maybe it is transported mass - transported long ago by native Americans.
Now, are there any IIAB irons nearby whose bandwidth is 10 mm?

What about these candidates:

a) Navajo, IIAB, Apache County, Arizona, 35? 20' N, 109? 30' W

BUCHWALD V.F. (1975) Handbook of Iron Meteorites, Volume 3, p. 878:

According to the Indians, there were previously many loose fragments of the
meteorite in the fissures, but htese were detached and kept as souvenirs ...
And an examination shows that they constitute individual, finger-sized kamacite
grains enveloped in schreibersite and separated by weathering ... Terrestrial
corrosion attacked along the schreibersite-filled boundaries and gradually
loosened up the texture so that individual grains could be chiseled out.

b) Sandia Mts., IIAB, near Albuquerque, New Mexico, 35? 15' N, 106? 30' W

BUCHWALD V.F. (1975) Handbook of Iron Meteorites, Volume 3, p. 1059:

No fusion crust or heat-affected alpha-2 zone could be identified, so it is estimated
that at least 3 mm of the surface is removed by terrestrial corrosion The corrosion
penetrates particularly along the grain boundaries with are lined with phosphides.
The meteorite will break rather easily along these boundaries which are now filled
with 0.1-2 mm wide limonitized veins.

Best wishes,

Bernd