[meteorite-list] Re:SOMETHING COOL IN MY CV3

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 6 06:21:40 2004

Hi Mark,

that's the old problem with the NWA-number-salad.
The finds from the countries around Morocco a brought already without any
find data to the moroccian dealers. Those spread the material among their
collegues and resell it to the european and US-dealers. Some meteorite
dealers buy only small quantities from one dealer, who has much more
material left or different dealers buy single stones from the same material
and each one let his stone classify elsewhere, getting an own NWA number and
then they rush the collectors into buying with the low-tkw-gimmick: Hush,
hush - small find weight, soon all will be gone! Asking to high prices
regarding the circumstance that Uncle Hamid in Morocco still is sitting on a
bunch of several kgs.
So the statistics get wrong with the rare types overrepresented, no one
knows the pairings (if you can say "pairing" , when the stones stems from
the very same find or from different finds from the very same place.

The Morrocains are last to blame - one can't expect that the extremely poor
hunters are running through the desert with GPS devices and the Moroccain
dealers regard meteorites like other commercial goods as minerals and
fossils and finally if one has in mind the final prices the specimens are
sold for to the collectors, they are often enough cheated by the
professional dealers.

Each collector should be aware in buying NWAs that the original tkw is not
known (some exeptions exist as the Met.Soc. refused in past to give other
geographical names to finds with complete and accurate find data, naming
them NWA too) and that always pairings can occure on the market.
Thus it's always helpfull, if whenever a new "unique" and thus expensive
type will appear on the market to wait a time to see, whether some pairings
will follow, bringing down the price.

But in general, I remember the times before the desert rush, the today's
collectors can't complain as in history the prices for the rarer classes
were never so dirt cheap than now.

Perhaps after the Sahara Rush will have settled down, the next generation of
classificators may set the pairings together again?

Cheers!
Martin