[meteorite-list] Meteorite Care 101

From: Kevin Heider <kpheider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Apr 25 19:19:07 2004

Hello Group,

I am new to meteorite collecting and have just purchased my first meteorite.
I purchased a 5.81kg NEW CAMPO meteorite! Since it is large specimen I will
be using it as my center (main show) piece.

I have checked on the internet about taking care of meteorites and found:
http://www.alaska.net/~meteor/preserv.htm

As a Newbie I have a few questions:

How often should I apply Mineral Oil? (every 6-12 months?)
Do you prefer Mineral Oil over Sheath, and Rust GuardIt, WD40?

Should I apply the mineral oil to my finger and then to the meteorite,
or would you recommend applying it to a a paper towel and then the meteorite?

Should I EVER use 95+% ethyl alcohol to clean my New Campo?

Where do I go to purchase a Plexiglass container? (Walmart, rock shop, hardware store?)

Where do I purchase desiccants? (hardware store?)

Sorry for all newbie questions, but I want to do this right. I don't want my center
piece rusting.

Kevin Heider
Sacramento, CA