[meteorite-list] Re: Boorish Comments on A Tektite Web Page

From: kaolinite_at_ctc.net <kaolinite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

I wrote:

>>Here, the sadness is contemplating the possibility
>>that a very valuable collecting location might be
>>destroyed by commercial collecting

>So, what went wrong?

As discussed, possibly in too much detail, in my previous posts,
what went wrong is that the author of the Escoria impactite web\
page, in his "footnote", falsely claims that the "sadness" on the
part of the researcher is due to a belief on the part of the
researcher should possess specimens of the Escoria impactite.

>What did Norm do that was wrong?

What I am objecting to is the "footnote" on the Escoria impactite
web page, which assassinates the character of the researcher with
rather rude, crude, and obnoxious misrepresentations and invective
because, the researcher decided that he had better things to do with
his time than copy edited a commercial advertisement, which the
Escoria impactite web page is, and expressed concern about what
commercial collector would do to the location. Basically, the
footnote on that web page falsely accuses the researcher for
being unprofessional, when the researcher had perfectly valid
and professional reasons for doing what he did. That is the basic
point of my two posts.

The person, who owns the Escoria impactite web page, has the perfect
right to sell his material. However, just because a professional
researcher refuses to be an unpaid employee tasked to copy edit this
web page, which is primary for advertisement, not education, for its
owner and has reservations about the commercial, not amateur,
collecting of this material didn't justify the vilification of the researcher
that is found in the "footnote" on this web page. In my opinion, the
"footnote" on the Escoria impactite web page consists of the type of
groundless accusations and sour grapes that only serve to poison
the relationship between professionals and collectors.

Yours,

Keith
St. tammany Praish