[meteorite-list] Boorish Comments on A Tektite Web Page

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

--0-1286120975-1082298101=:62549

Dear Bernd, Norman and List,
    I also wish to defend Norman for making the escoria available for research.

    I personally contacted Dr. Schultz (twice)about one year ago explaining that I had found green(possible impact-related glass) in a beach terrace in Taiwan. I offered to send him a sample and asked if it would be possible to obtain a sample of the escoria from Argentina. Granted, he may be busy doing research......I simply did not receive any reply. If scientist are too busy, so be it....but where is the science, only in the ivory tower or behind a desk? The glass from Taiwan offers many questions because after ASEM analysis by myself at Yamaguchi Univ. nickel was detected as well as iron. Responsible researchers should be interested in the big picture and help put the puzzle together; not isolate.
     Currently, I am at a different dilema. I have finished characterizing a new population (3500+ tektites) from a newly discovered location in Thailand. I wish to publish the coordinates and my findings. When I publish the coordinates will this ruin an future scientific studies (not only for myself but other scientists) of this particular area population? Will money dictate that this limited resource cannot be scientifically sampled further?
     If anyone wishes to comment I would appreciate it. I can supply samples for other researchers and am willing to because in the long run science will benefit.
  Also, without the generous contributions from other list members that I have received my research would have been greatly slowed or made impossible; thanks to all that helped me with samples and publications.
Thank you. Sincerely, Dirk Ross....Tokyo

--0-1286120975-1082298101=:62549

<DIV>Dear Bernd, Norman&nbsp;and List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I also wish to defend Norman for making the escoria available for research.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; &nbsp; I personally contacted Dr. Schultz (twice)about one year ago explaining that I had found green(possible impact-related glass) in a beach terrace in Taiwan.&nbsp; I offered to send him a sample and asked if it&nbsp; would be possible to obtain a sample of the escoria from Argentina.&nbsp; Granted, he may be busy doing research......I simply did not receive any reply.&nbsp; If scientist are too busy, so be it....but where is the science, only in the ivory tower or behind a desk?&nbsp; The glass from Taiwan offers many questions because after ASEM analysis by myself at Yamaguchi Univ. nickel was detected as well as iron.&nbsp; Responsible researchers should be interested in the big picture and help put the puzzle together; not isolate.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Currently, I am at a different dilema.&nbsp; I have finished characterizing a new population (3500+ tektites) from a&nbsp;newly discovered&nbsp;location in Thailand.&nbsp; I wish to publish the coordinates and my findings.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I publish the coordinates will&nbsp;this ruin an future scientific studies (not only for myself but other scientists)&nbsp;of this particular area population?&nbsp; Will money&nbsp;dictate that this limited resource cannot be scientifically sampled further?&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If anyone wishes to comment I would appreciate it.&nbsp; I can supply samples for other researchers and am willing to because in the long run science will benefit.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Also,&nbsp; without the generous contributions from other list members that I have received my research would have been greatly slowed or made impossible; thanks to all that helped me with samples and publications.</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you.&nbsp; Sincerely,&nbsp; Dirk Ross....Tokyo&nbsp;</DIV><p>
Yahoo! Photos: <a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=23765/*http://photos.yahoo.c
om/ph/print_splash">High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢</a>
--0-1286120975-1082298101=:62549--