[meteorite-list] Re: rust, cleaning, and silicone

From: Stephen McMann <stephen_mcmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:30:01 2004

<P>Dear List,</P>
<P>A quick question regarding rust.&nbsp;I have been mulling over a simple strategy for the long term care of my SAs (and other meteorites).&nbsp; Right now it seems&nbsp;that a good strategy is to give the SAs an alcohol and NaOH treatment to dispose of the Cl- from fingerprints etc.,&nbsp;and otherwise keep them&nbsp;with VCIs and dessicant.</P>
<P>A possible complication is that several of my SAs were once wiped with a silicone gun cloth (by me). However, for the alcohol and&nbsp;NaOH&nbsp;treatment&nbsp;to be most effective I assume&nbsp;that the silicone coating should go.&nbsp; What is a good method for removing such a coating? Will the alcohol and NaOH remove it?&nbsp; If anyone has some thoughts about this, I would be interested in them. Hopefully I am asking for information that is not just waiting in the archives.&nbsp;</P>
<P>Sincerely,</P>
<P>Stephen McMann</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;</P></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica>