[meteorite-list] Gruver slice with another meteorite in it?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:30:00 2004

> Here is a slice of the Gruver (Tx.) Meteorite that I purchased in Denver.
> Slice has a nice large inclusion that is about 15mm wide. The inclusion
> appears to me to be a different meteorite...

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colgruver.html

Does this the inclusion look like a different meteorite to anyone else?

Hi Mark and List,

I think it is a clast because:

BRIDGES J.C. et al. (1997) A survey of clasts and large chondrules
in ordinary chondrites (Meteoritics 32-3, 1997, pp. 389-394):

Conclusions (excerpt): Macrochondrules or clasts were found in about 4% of
the 833 OCs examined. 36 macrochondrules and 24 clasts were identified.
Macrochondrules (> 5 mm in diameter) are mineralogically identical to normal
chondrules , having porphyritic/poikilitic, barred olivine, and radiating pyroxene
textural types. The most important criterion that distinguishes clasts from chon-
drules is usually the presence of fractured surfaces that indicate derivation from
preexisting, larger objects ... Macrochondrules and clasts were found through the
range of petrographic types. Fewer were located in H-chondrites than in L- or
LL-chondrites.

Best wishes, and, Mark,
Congrats on that acquisition!

Bernd