[meteorite-list] cleaning

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

Lars,

I am not sure how Eric cleaned these.

I do know that soaking certain stone meteorites in acid (navel jelly)
beautifully cleans the meteorite and removes dark rust stains. I have had
great success with zag and juancheng as well as others. After a navel jelly
soak of an hour they were totally different and really showed the chondrules
and brecciation. I have cleaned pieces over two years ago and they remain
beautiful and stable.

Some meteorites which I have tried to clean did not change at all.

Of course, when you subject these stones to navel jelly you are taking a
risk of totally ruining them. I have never ruined a meteorite but had to
put that caveat in there in case someone does.

Cheers,

tett
Owen Sound, Ontario