[meteorite-list] Serious question?

From: chris sharp <casper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "S. Singletary" <jumper_at_MIT.EDU>
To: "chris sharp" <casper_at_cooloola.net>; "Charles R. Viau"
<cviau_at_beld.net>
Cc: <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Serious question?

> At 08:55 PM 9/18/2003 +1000, chris sharp wrote:
> >The iron impactor disintegrated and spread iron all over the planet
in
> >a fallout cloud and created a layer of iron rich material on the
> >surface.
>
> My knee-jerk reaction to that is to think about the large iron
meteorites
> in our collections. They tend to be the most competent and coherent
and
> hence will hold together on impact. It doesn't seem likely to me
that an
> iron will disintegrate in the fashion you are talking about on
impact. I'm
> not sure of that, just my first reaction to the statement.

Good point. Perhaps it depends on the speed of impact. High cosmic
velocity, more chance of vapourisation.

 Small scale iron impacts can create large red ejecta blankets. Scale
it up a few orders of magnitude and I reckon you could turn the
surface of a planet red.

Go Spirit & Opportunity!

cheers from Australia

chris sharp