[meteorite-list] dronino (in)stability: a solution ?

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Mark and all,

Kurust is a product that was sold as "EXTEND" by Duro.
 It is used extensively in treating thin rust cancer
on autos and other products. It works by supposedly
chemically altering the rust to stable form.

However, it also turns the surface a deep blue black,
and quite un-natural in appearance.

Having used this to treat Civil War cannonballs and
shells, I found that the treated surfaces do not look
very appealing, and to make matters worse, they still
continue to rust underneath forming over time rusting
action beneath the coat. Because of this, I have not
used it on meteorites.

Also, the polisher solution also mentioned, puts a
coating of oil on the surface of meteorites, and this
works as a sealer, but still does not address the
rusting actions that will certainly result when that
coating thins over time.

Both of the above solutions do not address the deep
chemical action that FeCl3 has in meteorite irons.
Ferric Chloride (FeCl3) and Nickel Chloride (NiCl2)
are both strongly hygroscopic, that is they absorb
water from the atmosphere. Sealants keep air away,
and thus water, but the chemical action might be
stopped only if the sealant remains intact. And even
then, the interior of the specimen, if not completely
dry before the coating is applied will continue to
rust beneath that coating.

So, the best way is to first deal with ferric and
nickel chlorides by neutralizing them. This is done
by chemical reaction using the fact that they have an
affinity for water, and alcohol. By saturating water
and alcohol with sodium hydroxide, these meteoric
chlorides are thus reduced to a less hygroscopic
form... NaCl which is now the solution that the
meteorite is soaking in.

The meteorite after several such treatments, and
rinsing with distilled water, might have very minor
traces of NaCl between the cracks. And even these
very minor traces of NaCl are far less hygroscopic
than ferric or nickel chlorides, and will thus respond
much better to sealants after treatment than before.

Steve Schoner/ams
http://www.geocites.com/american_meteorite_survey

P.S.

Due to popular request, I have decided to post a link
to the sodium hydroxide treatment that I developed
some years ago with recommendations as to the sequence
of treatments that I have used to treat very difficult
irons and mesosiderites. I have put this off till now
as it takes trememdous effort on my part to type it
out. I will soon have, as a benefit of Voc Rehab a
voice recognition computer program to assist me in
this endeavor. I have the new computer now, and await
the program. As soon as that arrives, I will start
working on it and have it posted as soon as it is
done.