[meteorite-list] dronino (in)stability: a solution ?

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Hello all

I have just sent to Steve a piece of Dronino for text
the method antyrusty, I hope he find a good method.
Regards

Matteo

--- John Gwilliam <jkg_at_theriver.com> wrote:
> Rust Sufferers,
>
> You might consider using Steve Schoner's tried and
> true sodium hydroxide
> process. I had several slices of old Campo that
> would rust no matter how
> may times I polished them or how dry I kept them.
> Then, two years ago, I
> used the sodium hydroxide process and the slices
> have been rust free ever
> since. One of the slices sits in a metal pan out in
> my garage where it is
> subject to the heat and humidity and there is
> absolutely no rust on it.
>
> Best,
>
> John Gwilliam
>
> At 06:21 PM 9/16/03 +0200, Zelimir Gabelica wrote:
> >Hello Steve, Matteo, List,
> >
> >Dronino seems to be very versatile to rusting
> indeed.
> >-I got a small slice from Sergey Vasiliev in May
> 2003 with not any rust
> >problem so far (now about 4 months after).
> >-I purchesed 2 other slices in Ensisheim (June 21)
> from Serguei (Serge)
> >Afanasiev and one month after they both were fully
> covered with rust,
> >basically all around the silicate inclusions.
> >- I purchased another small slice from Vasiliev in
> Ensisheim and today it is
> >just as fresh as in June....
> >
> >Apparently either every Dronino piece is
> intrinsicaly different or it is a
> >problem of cutting method and precautions taken
> after cutting, but probably
> >not a storage problem because all the 4 slices were
> stored in the very same
> >drawers and boxes, with just, as (poor) protection,
> a silica bag in between
> >the cotton wool and the plastic box bottom.
> >
> >Having nothing to loose with Serge's slices and not
> having on hand any
> >reliable recipe nor chemicals, I directly tried the
> first commercial product
> >I found in a Department Store (in Belgium).
> >It is a tube of compact (wax-like) "paste" named
> "STRAHLDUR" (German brand
> >?) sold for a few euros as a "mirror finish without
> polishing" for current
> >domestic houseworks...
> >
> >Operatory conditions, as written on the tube and
> box, in 6 languages (also
> >in italian, Matteo!), suggest to "apply Strahldur"
> on a WET sponge for
> >"stainless steel, copper, brass, tin, chromium,
> aluminum, but also plastics,
> >enamel, glass, tiles bathroom fittings, sink,
> hot-plates, oven grill,
> >toaster, kettle, IRON, cutlery, resopal kitchen
> furniture, refrigerators,
> >window frames, garden furniture, and much much
> more"...moreover: "it removes
> >RUST from chrom plated parts and dirt from wheel
> rims"...
> >It so continues:
> >"Wash the object (with a wet sponge) and dry (wipe
> off)...ready!"...
> >Any warnings ? Not really. They write: "Strahldur
> contains NO ACID and is
> >gentle to the skin"...
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com