[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Geologist Finds Meteorite Crater In The Japanese Alps]

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:52 2004

--------------4D2775CEDA9CD11BD33F161F

Dear List members:
    Here is more information about the new Japanese"Crater?". Comments
please.

--------------4D2775CEDA9CD11BD33F161F

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:17:25 +0900
From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_tkc.att.ne.jp>
To: Miura Sensei <meteoriteyas_at_yahoo.co.jp>
Cc: Miura Sensei <meteoriteyas_at_yahoo.co.jp>,
        "drtanuki_at_tkc.att.ne.jp" <drtanuki@tkc.att.ne.jp>,
        Ron Baalke <baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Geologist Finds Meteorite Crater In The Japanese Alps

Dear List,
   After reading the abstract and reviewing the literature I find that
this announcement of an impact crater is not without doubt. Ten years
prior, Dr. Miura of Yamaguchi University studied this feature but found
no conclusive evidence except for the shocked quartz. Dr. Miura
conducted studies to search for Ni/Fe grains near the site and found no
evidence whatsoever. His final conclusion was that it was a manmade
impactor but further comment could not be given.
     If a Barringer-sized impactor were to hit the top of the Oike
Mt..as proposed by the current authors, Sakamoto and his research team
failed to explain the energy release on the opposite side of the
mountain (in the form of a blow through). Also his team failed to find
shatter cone, Fe/Ni particles or even remnant meteorite or glass.
    Also they claim an age of 20,0000- 30,0000 years for the age of
this event but fail to show how this was determined.
    Japan at this time has two published meteorite craters, Takamatsu
and Akiyoshi; both published and scientifically studied with verifiable
results. For more information search Dr. Miura's works.
    This NIPR meeting lacked the peer review necessary to prevent the
non-scienctific reporting on the Oike "Crater" site and in the future
more detailed studies need to be reviewed before going in front of such
a prestigious group as The NIPR for presentation.

Sincerely, Dirk Ross
                 Planetary Data, USA