[meteorite-list] Re: New Asteroid Threat Seen (Asteroid 2003 QQ47)

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

--------------040301020004020207080806

Hello, Bob,

Yes, I sure know, the truth in the science is the best quess or the best
opinion
the community can aggree, and this truth corrects itself all the time.
Better this
way, if the absolute truth was found in middle-ages, I suppose, our world
should be a bit different than now...;-

When I wrote "crystal-clear information", I didnīt mean the absolute truth,
just the information formated so, that the media and my 88-years granpa
can underrestand that, and this means, the information has to be translated
from the science-language to the "clear lanquage". As I mentioned, the
problem
in fact is not in astronomers, not in press, but just between them.

Anyway, if the media takes the material from the web and is too lazy or
busy
to consult an astronomer, the media should take the responce, but as we
have
noticed, this is just a dream.

When the astronomer finds a target classified as Torino 1, thatīs
nothing. When
the press founds the same data, itīs a sensation. NEO-community is trying to
find NEOs, media is trying to find news, and itīs even better, if they
can find a
sensation. And if some journalists donīt find a news, they will make a news.

In the science, if somebody wants the community to accept his / her
opinion as
the current "truth", he / she has to prove it. If the media wants a
news, itīs enough,
if they can pick the juicy parts from the totality, suitable to build a
news.

I have arqued with the finnish press, and thatīs a total waste of time.
Much better
way is to try to find journalists, who honestly are interrested in the
theme and try
to get them to underrestand "the crystal-clear information", there is
not the absolut
truth in these cases, but this means correspondence between the science
and the
media, and I really hope, this discussion starts and goes on. The first
step could be
to tell to the media, it may be wise to check from the serious
astronomer, does the
Torino 1 -classification really mean the end of the world...;-

NEOs are the most "media-sexy" topic in the astronomics for a long time,
and I belive,
this is the main reason for the overreacting of the media. The press
doesnīt sell, if
the reporter tells, you can get killed in a car-accident or you can burn
you and your
family, if you smoke in the bed, and these are the everyday risks,
everyone can limit.

Iīm not shooting the astronomers and neither the media, because both of
them are
trying to do their job. If we talk about the moral of these jobs, the
situation is a bit
different...;- But I suppose, we have to live with the media, so the old
"keep your
friends closer and your enemies even closier" suits also in this situation.

Anyway, itīs true, the science needs the media and the media needs the
science. I
aggree with you, itīs a wise question, why didnīt the media wait a day
or two. But
they want their news anyway, and thatīs why somebody have to tell to the
media,
why to wait and publish a good news is better than to hurry and make
themself as
clowns. The Spacequard Symposium and forums like that could be a way to
do that.

Specially in the NEO-case I see the good relationships between the
community and
the media important. The risk is real, and the NEO-community makes what
they
can to find and limit or eliminate the risks. The community can
calculate the risks,
the media can tell them to the public, but the way to do that, should
be something
other than now. Belive, there is lot of work to do with this, but also
belive, this could
be done, at least I hope so.

So, I think we can aggree, there are not the corrcet answers or not the
absolute truth,
so perhaps we can talk about the relative truth in this case. With this
I mean, we should
find the way to proportion the NEOs to the everyday life with the media
in a reasonable
way...

best regards,

pekka s

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------040301020004020207080806
<head>
</head>
Hello, Bob,<br>
Yes, I sure know, the truth in the science is the best quess or the best
opinion<br>
the community can aggree, and this truth corrects itself all the time. Better
this<br>
way, if &nbsp;the absolute truth was found in middle-ages, I suppose, our world<br>
should be a bit different than now...;-<br>
When I wrote "crystal-clear information", I didn&acute;t mean the absolute truth,<br>
just the information formated so, that the media and my 88-years granpa <br>
can underrestand that, and this means, the information has to be translated<br>
from the science-language to the "clear lanquage". As I mentioned, the problem<br>
in fact is not in astronomers, not in press, but just between them. <br>
Anyway, if the media takes the material from the web and is too lazy or busy
to consult an astronomer, the media should take the responce, but as we have
noticed, this is just a dream.<br>
When the astronomer finds a target classified as Torino 1, that&acute;s nothing.
When <br>
the press founds the same data, it&acute;s a sensation. NEO-community is trying
to<br>
find NEOs, media is trying to find news, and it&acute;s even better, if they can
find a<br>
sensation. And if some journalists don&acute;t find a news, they will make a news.<br>
In the science, if somebody wants the community to accept his / her opinion
as<br>
the&nbsp; current "truth", he / she has to prove it. If the media wants a news,
it&acute;s enough,<br>
if they can pick the juicy parts from the totality, suitable to build a news.<br>
I have arqued with the finnish press, and that&acute;s a total waste of time. Much
better<br>
way is to try to find journalists, who honestly are interrested in the theme
and try<br>
to get them to underrestand "the crystal-clear information", there is not
the absolut<br>
truth in these cases, but this means correspondence between the science and
the<br>
media, and I really hope, this discussion starts and goes on. The first step
could be<br>
to tell to the media, it may be wise to check from the serious astronomer,
does the<br>
Torino 1 -classification really mean the end of the world...;- <br>
NEOs are the most "media-sexy" topic in the astronomics for a long time,
and I belive,<br>
this is the main reason for the overreacting of the media. The press doesn&acute;t
sell, if<br>
the reporter tells, you can get killed in a car-accident or you can burn
you and your<br>
family, if you smoke in the bed, and these are the everyday risks, everyone
can limit.<br>
I&acute;m not shooting the astronomers and neither the media, because both of them
are<br>
trying to do their job. If we talk about the moral of these jobs, the situation
is a bit<br>
different...;- But I suppose, we have to live with the media, so the old
"keep your<br>
friends closer and your enemies even closier" suits also in this situation.<br>
Anyway, it&acute;s true, the science needs the media and the media needs the science.
I<br>
aggree with you, it&acute;s a wise question, why didn&acute;t the media wait a day or
two. But<br>
they want their news anyway, and that&acute;s why somebody have to tell to the
media,<br>
why to wait and publish a good news is better than to hurry and make themself
as <br>
clowns. The Spacequard Symposium and forums like that could be a way to do
that.<br>
Specially in the NEO-case I see the good relationships between the community
and <br>
the &nbsp;media important. The risk is real, and the NEO-community makes what
they <br>
can to find and limit or eliminate the risks. The community can calculate
the risks, <br>
the media can &nbsp;tell them to the public, but the way to do that, should be
something<br>
other than now. Belive, there is lot of work to do with this, but also belive,
this could<br>
be done, at least I hope so.<br>
So, I think we can aggree, there are not the corrcet answers or not the absolute
truth,<br>
so perhaps we can talk about the relative truth in this case. With this I
mean, we should<br>
find the way to proportion the NEOs to the everyday life with the media in
a reasonable<br>
way...<br>
best regards,<br>
pekka s<br>
Bob Martino wrote:<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND